• Articles:
  • Leadership
  • Aspire
  • Innovate
  • Ins & Outs
  • Education
  • GRADUAN News

What You’re Really Saying When You Cross Your Arms

Posted on 2019-09-20 07:00:00

And a bunch of other body language cues you need to know right now.

When they say action speaks louder than words, there’s some scientific proof to it – your tone of voice and body movements make up 93% of communication while the remaining 7% is the spoken word.

Which explains why body language actually tells those around you more than you let know! And this is particularly important in a place like the office as it can send certain signals to your colleagues and boss.

How so? With the right body languge, you send the signal that you’re an easy person to work with, letting your teammates know they can count on you. Plus, that positivity is contagious, which makes the workplace a pleasant environment.

On the flip side, with body language that sends a negative vibe, your teammates will want to stay far away from the grouch that you are. Plus, it creates this unhealthy and unfriendly work environment, which isn’t conducive for productivity.

That office admin who greets and smiles at everyone who walks by? Be like her! Not the grumpy accountant who won’t even look your way!

So what should you be looking out for when it comes to body language? Here’s our list.

Folding your arms
You know that phrase to ‘welcome a person with open arms?’? When your arms are crossed, hostile vibes are emitted and the intern who sits across you might think twice before asking for your help!

The handshake
Whenever you first meet someone, the first thing you do is shake their hands. If you want to be remembered, make sure your handshake is firm and accompanied by pleasant eye contact and a smile. No one wants a spaghetti handshake as this is believed to reflect a lack of confidence. FUN FACT: The first known handshake dates to 5th century Greece and was a sign of peace, indicating neither party had weapons.

Fidgeting or constantly checking your phone
Fidgeting or constantly checking your phone is often seen as a sign of restlessness or nervousness. Checking your phone during a meeting screams ‘I’d rather be somewhere else’. When in an interview or meeting, it’s common courtesy to pay full attention to the person in front of you.

Eye contact
Eye contact and the lack of speaks volumes. Too much can come off as staring and that makes things awkward (not to mention how rude it is). A lack of eye contact reflects dishonesty, a lack of confidence or low self-esteem. Inability to make eye contact also reflects that a person is uncomfortable. Just like everything else in life, balance it out between too much and too little!

Photo by Malte Wingen on Unsplash

By Ahmed Wafi

Interesting article? Share it with your friends!