Join our Group Tax Team
At BHP, we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a number of proactive Specialist Tax Operations to join the Global Tax Operations in Kuala Lumpur. Reporting to the Manager of Global Tax Operations, this role provide efficient, accurate and timely delivery of tax accounting, compliance and stewardship processes as part of the tax team, with a focus on US tax. This includes tax accounting processes, external reporting requirements, direct and indirect tax compliance and transfer pricing as well as tax risk management, ad hoc requests and process improvement initiatives.
Key relationships that are critical for success in this role:
- Principal Tax Operations - US
- Global Tax counterparts (APAC, UK, US regions)
- Global Accounting and Reporting Finance teams
- Other Global Asset Services Functions (Finance, HR, Supply and Technology)
- Business Partners
- Group Reporting
- Global A&I
Core Accountabilities (may vary by team member):
- Demonstrates and instils an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development
- Ensure compliance and commitment to BHP Tax Principles and tax obligations.
- Conformance with the BHP Charter, BHP Group Level Documents, Code of Conduct and relevant statutory obligations
- Build relationships with other departments to ensure proactive engagement of the tax team for assistance with tax technical matters, including provision of tax training, analysis and technical guidance to relevant areas of the business and tax team
- Preparation of tax accounting position papers for major transactions
- Assist in the development, implementation and review of tax policies and procedures across all taxes and ensure compliance with these and GLDs
- Assist with requests from Tax Reporting and external auditors in connection with taxation and financial accounting audits
- Maintain integrity of the data in the Tax Issues Management System (TIMS)
- Preparation of monthly, half yearly and year-end tax calculations and Group Management and External Reporting requirements
- Preparation of tax reconciliations, tax returns, deferred tax balance proofs and tax provisions within agreed timelines and coordinate review processes
- Review of tax sensitive accounts including liaising with management and financial accountants and the wider business where necessary to resolve queries
- Preparation of Fringe Benefits Tax, withholding tax, monthly BAS and Instalment Activity Statement submissions
- Preparation of tax proofs and reconciliations in line with the allocated frequency to ensure accurate tax balances are reported
- Prepare transfer pricing documentation, conduct reviews and ensure appropriateness of transfer pricing application
- Participate in risk assessment activities for income tax, GST, VAT, SOx and other compliance related areas and ensure compliance with processes, procedures and SOx controls
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities and participate in/lead corporate tax and business process design changes
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of the 1SAP Tax Accounting Solution and Tax Integrator as required
- Bachelor’s degree qualification in accounting or finance
- Professional qualification (CPA/ACCA/CIMA/CA) or similar tax qualifications, either completion or currently pursuing will be added advantage
Experience & Technical Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with a large corporate or professional environment
- Sound knowledge of accounting for income taxes (IAS 12)
- Experience in both income and secondary taxes
- Australian tax experience preferred
- Tax Integrator
- FBT Organiser
Fluent English, both verbal and written
What We Offer
At BHP, we will provide you an environment to:
- • be autonomous and support (you) to use initiative;
- • be accountable and performance driven;
- • work flexibly with a focus on outcomes, not hours;
- • problem-solve collaboratively together;
- • Activate your improvement mindset, experimentation and agile learning.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP, we recognize that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, clean office environment and other extended leave entitlements.
We support flexible work at BHP. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.