About the Role
Reporting directly into the Manager, OT Hosting Operations Australia this role has responsibility for maintaining the production integrity of BHP’s Operational Technology hosting environment. Ensuring that the servers, storage, backup, hypervisors, and tools are maintained, reliable and continuously improved to enable the processes that support Mining, Logistics and key Business Functions of BHP.
Working with key stakeholders across BHP to maintain and improve BHP’s OT hosting environment to support production outcomes.
• Provides technical leadership, direction and governance in ensuring the OT Hosting maintenance strategy is in line with current and future state business requirements.
• Ensuring consistent production outputs by maintaining OT hosting environments to the best-in-class levels of reliability following lean maintenance and ITIL principles.
• Develops our technology specialists to the highest professional standards so they become our future technical experts and leaders.
• Applies effective risk controls to identify potential threats and minimize or remove production impact.
• Champions hosting automation activities.
• Drives the documentation, audit & compliance and standardisation of hosting infrastructure.
• Acts as the escalation point for major incidents, changes and problems.
• Assesses and approve change requests.
• Executes and Improves Service Management processes to drive consistent performance.
• Managing the transition to operations for equipment & services delivered by project teams.
• Positively influence and shape the culture to ensure a safe, productive, simple and fun workplace.
The individual will need to collaborate with other members of the Global Operations team with a particular focus to the Australia region.
You are the type of person who knows risk because you’ve been at the edge and perhaps fallen off a few times giving you a healthy respect for outcomes and an empathy for those developing in their careers. You’re likely the default go-to technical person for your friends and family but when you talk about the amazing I/O error you found within the controllers firmware your friends fall asleep. You’re well known in the infrastructure community contributing widely to forums, groups and conferences. At home you’ve programmed a Raspberry Pi to ensure your lawn stays lush and green. Although you don’t like getting woken up at 2am to an alert on your hosting stack, you walk through a downtime fire like it “aint no thang”. Most importantly you have an intense curiosity, a willingness to learn and share knowledge with your team.
You are a motivated self-starter who enjoys the challenge of operating the most critical hosting environments in the world’s largest resources company. You will have worked previously within an OT environment for 5 years or more, have 10 years’ experience in the IT industry, wide exposure to different hardware, operating systems, and network platforms and successfully mentored junior team members in your area of expertise.
We value diversity in thinking and your career to date will testify to your ability to demonstrate strong problem solving skills, quickly grasp technical concepts and act calmly under pressure. You will have a commitment to safety and a proven track record of developing strong working relationships with your delightful engagement skills.
You are energetic and driven, you work well with challenges under pressure, bringing attention to detail and an ability to meet multiple deadlines. You bring out the best in your colleagues, have demonstrated experience in hosting automation and take accountability to deliver new technologies into the business.
• Leads, coaches and mentors team members to ensure we develop the next generation of technical experts and leaders.
• Possess an operations mindset with exceptional problem solving skills.
• Delightful engagement and interpersonal skills that make you the “go-to” for queries.
• Management & leadership skills, especially in leading with 24x7 operation teams.
• Ability to work in a 24x7 organisation with the requirement for out of standard business hours phone calls and meetings.
• Ability to negotiate with business acumen relating to technical issues and queries
• Excellent engineering documentation and reporting skills.
• A self-starter with the ability to manage ambiguity and drive what’s best for the company with minimal day to day guidance and oversight.
• Deep knowledge and practical experience in one or multiple core hosting technologies, including:
Server & blade hardware
Converged & Hyper-converged infrastructure
Red Hat Linux
Storage (SAN, NAS, DAS)
NetApp, EMC Isilon and HDS
o Backup & Recovery / Data Protection Services
Commvault, Data Domain and Avamar
o CITRIX presentation services
• Knowledge & practical experience with infrastructure services, including:
o Active Directory
o SCOM, SCCM, Splunk & other management tools
• Knowledge & practical experience with the following would also be advantageous:
o Operational Technologies – Programmable Logic Controllers, IIOT Sensors, SCADA, Fleet Management, Digital Radio and Process Control Networks.
o Automation Technologies – Ansible, vRealize Automation, vRealize Orchestrator, Chef or similar
o Experience with driving operational improvements through the use of Lean, Agile, SRE & Devops methodologies & practices (e.g. SCRUM, Kanban boards, etc.)
Qualifications (equivalents considered):
• Bachelor Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent STEM.
• ITIL v3
• Professional level Cisco, Microsoft, VMware, Citrix, Amazon Certifications, or equivalents