Responsible for the overall protection and management of the Bank’s legal risks. Provide legal advisory services, rendering the legal opinion, drafting and vetting of legal documentation/agreements, monitoring of litigation (including arbitration) matters where applicable, administering appointment of a panel of solicitors, participating in the promotion of legal awareness, the rectification of audit findings, and undertake and participate in such project or assignment as may be identified by the Bank from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities
Section A - Specific
- Vet legal documentation and advice in relation to operations, business and activities of Bank Islam, including Bank Islam’s branches.
- Advice and guide business and recovery units on litigation handling by Bank’s solicitors, including recommending the solicitors, vetting and reviewing cause papers, preparation of witnesses and collation of documentary evidence.
- Review solicitors’ opinion on Bank Islam’s chances in litigation actions and where necessary, make the required recommendation to the Management, before a decision to proceed with litigation is made.
- Monitor closely the litigation status to ensure that the solicitor act in a timely manner and protects the interest of Bank Islam at all times.
- Make recommendations for out of court settlements where Bank Islam’s chance in litigation is not favourable.
- Prepare reports on a regular basis to the Management on the status of litigation matters.
- Where relevant, review solicitors’ invoices to ensure fairness and reasonableness of the invoice.
- Support Corporate Secretarial Department by acting as the secretary to the Tender Evaluation Committee 'A' ("TECA") or such other Committee as determined by the Head of Division.
Section B - Generic
- Provide legal opinion on any matters relating to the operations, business and activities of Bank Islam, including Bank Islam’s branches and subsidiaries.
- Participate and advise the relevant business unit as and when required.
- Draft and vet agreements and documents (either financing agreements and documentation or non-financing agreements and documentation) for the departments/division concerned, based on established precedents, where available.
- Assist to conduct legal documentation review on agreement/ legal documentation that has been executed by Bank Islam.
- Assist to initiate the drafting of other pre-printed documentation to improve turnaround time for documentation and to effectively protect the Bank’s interest through standard documentation and application of certain standards.
- Deliver a presentation on identified topics on annual basis or such frequency as may be required.
- Organise a training seminar/legal awareness in Bank Islam or for identified Bank Islam’s customers either on its own or in conjunction with identified regulatory authority or panel solicitors.
- Rectification actions on audit findings by either internal auditor by external auditors.
- Assist to organize a solicitors briefing in Bank Islam or for identified Bank Islam’s customers either on its own or in conjunction with identified regulatory authority or panel solicitors.
- Ensure the process for annual review of internal Manuals and Standard Operating Procedures are complied (where applicable).
- Ensure adherence and compliance to all internal policies/guidelines and external regulatory requirements.
- Any other duties/assignments as and when directed/assigned by the superior as per business requirements from time to time.